Baking Up Fish
We have been hearing a lot about fish fries so I decided it was a good chance to incorporate fish into our own dinner menu for the week. Fish Sticks are a favorite of my girls + most kids if I had to guess, so that was the perfect choice. When made from scratch, they are much healthier + fresher tasting which makes for smiles all around the table. This recipe is easy to manage + pairs well with any vegetable or side dish. The dip that I like to create is greek yogurt based + is fitting for the fish flavor.
These sticks take less than 30 minutes to make + you’ll have a healthy meal for your family with fresh ingredients that you can pronounce. It’s easier than you think to make your own at home with a stunning taste that is well worth the effort. If you are in a pinch for time, you can make about half the fish into the sticks for the kids + set aside the remainder of the larger pieces for the adults. Or you can make them into a fish sandwich which can be a great alternative that everyone in the family can enjoy.
- 1 lb. firm flesh white fish, cut into strips about 1 inch x 3 inch
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of milk
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Zest + juice of 1 lemon
- Salt + freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a metal cooling rack on a baking sheet + spray with cooking spray.
- Place flour, garlic + onion powder on a rimmed plate. Season with salt + pepper then mix with a fork.
- Place bread slices in a food processor + process until small + uniform in size.
- Transfer to a rimmed plate.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a medium flat bowl or pie pan.
- Set up a breading station. Dredge fish sticks in flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Then dip fish in egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, gently press breadcrumbs into fish.
- Place fish sticks on prepared baking sheet + lightly spray the fish with cooking spray.
- Cook for about 12 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Carefully flip about half way for even browning.
- To make dip, combine Greek yogurt, lemon zest + lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Season with salt + pepper.
- Get creative with the dip. Add in fresh parsley, diced pickles, or capers. If you like spice, add in Sriracha. Or throw all the ingredients in a food processor with some roasted red peppers.
Want more Flavor?
Sign up for monthly Flavor 360 Kitchen offers, discounts and exclusive news!
Leave a Comment