These are all fruit snacks that are kid-friendly. I made kebabs and fruit roll-ups for a 7 year olds birthday party. Those are more mid-summer fruits, which made me think about the beginning of fall and always triggers the thought of apples. I decided to make some more fruit-type snacks: apple chips and apple cinnamon popcorn.
Fruit roll–ups :
These are a fun way to use up old peaches and grapes. And a great way for kids to enjoy fruit roll-ups without all the processed ingredients you might find when you purchase them from the store. They make a great little bonus to a kids party.
Cucumber + Fruit Kebabs :
Fun way to serve kids a salad – was also for a kid party. Tossed all the fruit in a honey + lime dressing
Apple + cinnamon chips : Slice and bake on 220° for a couple hours – then use any leftovers (if there are any) to make: Apple + cinnamon popcorn : great after school snack or a fun treat for a school party.
- 1 ¼ pounds chopped fruit
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Combine the fruit and sugar in blender.
- Add the lemon juice to taste and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the pureed fruit to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally at first and then more often toward the end, until most of the liquid evaporates and the mixture is very thick.
- Line a 12x17 inch rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or nonstick foil.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the fruit into thin layer.
- Bake until barely tacky, about 3-4 hours.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and the fruit leather cool completely.
- Peel off of the mat or foil. If the leather is still moist on the underside, return it to the oven, moist side up, until dry about 20 more minutes.
- Lay the leather smooth side down on a sheet of wax paper and use kitchen shears to cut it into strips on the paper.
- Roll up the strips and store in airtight container.