Spicy Pumpkin Soup
As soon as a slight chill hits the air + fall has fully emerged I am quick to pull out my dutch oven + put a soup on for dinner. This recipe is great for incorporating pumpkin flavor + rich spices that will warm you from the inside.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Seasonal Favorite with a Spicy Twist
Write a review
- 3-4 small sugar pie pumpkins – to yield 6 cups roasted pumpkin puree*
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°
- To make pumpkin puree, cut pumpkins in half, scoop out seeds and stringy flesh, brush cut side lightly with olive oil.
- Place pumpkins cut side down on baking sheet and bake until soft, about 35-45 min. Cool and scoop out the flesh. Freeze what you don’t use for future purpose.
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more. Add pumpkin puree and 5 cups of broth; blend well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender or a food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. If you want the soup extra smooth, pass the puree through a food mill, after the blender.
- Return soup to saucepan. With soup on low heat, add maple syrup and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Add salt to taste.
- Adjust other seasonings to taste.
- * in a pinch for a fast week night dinner, use 3 (15oz) cans of 100% pumpkin puree in place of roasted pumpkins.
Flavor 360 https://flavor360.org/
Chef Kara Tip:
Play around with the spices. Try adding smoked paprika, curry + coriander.
Here I used an herb oil to garnish, but chopped apples, walnuts, + shaved parmesan cheese. Or try Greek yogurt + fresh cilantro.
Want more Flavor?
Sign up for monthly Flavor 360 Kitchen offers, discounts and exclusive news!
Leave a Comment