At our house, when dad is in charge of dinner, the meal of choice is what our girls like to call a “special daddy sampler platter.” It’s a cute tradition he started with the girls while I was working + has continued every since. It usually begins with pulling a variety of elements from the fridge. These pieces then transform into bite size parts of a greater scene. With the addition of toothpicks + anything else deemed necessary the scene is ready to take place. We have seen spaghetti become the hair of a self portrait while tomatoes + cucumbers become the eyes. A mixture of vegetables + fruit are strategically placed as a garden with trees, flowers + grass. The possibilities seem endless + the girls adore this special time. The most important thing about this simple tradition is the fun the girls have while dad imagines new + creative works of art. Following the special sample platter we all gather around the table or bar to talk about what happened that day.
Below is a great menu to start your own sampler platter that includes some of the girls favorite foods. It’s perfect for the whole family, with something mom + dad can also enjoy!
- Cucumber hearts w. ranch
- Mangos + Pineapple hearts
- Roasted sweet potato hearts – because if you have met my girls you know there isn’t a sweet potato in the world that they wouldn’t gobble up!
- Tomato soup
- Grilled cheese hearts (Make regular size sandwiches for mom and dad if you want.)
- 2 medium carrots – scrubbed, ends chopped off and cut in half – no need to peel
- 2 celery stalks – preferably some with the leaves on from the middle
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh basil
- 3 – 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for about 6-7 minutes or until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- The blender will make the soup hot, but feel free to throw it in a saucepan if you need to keep it warm.
- Make your favorite grilled cheese to serve along side.